08 Apr 20 REAL LIFE LESSONS FROM FICTION
“the archive” april 8, 2017
“What’s the best lesson you’ve learned from a work of fiction?”
That was last week’s Question of the Day for my weekly writers group. As most of us live up to the introverted stereotype, we include socializing in the group focus and QOTD can be introspective or silly or somewhere in between. Much like the responses to this particular question.
The answers made me grin or nod or ask for explanation, so I jotted them down to share with you. Some are direct quotes, some are paraphrases or summaries of lessons learned, but they’re all great examples of the way fiction speaks to our souls.
Well, maybe not the banana.*
20 Real Life Lessons from Fiction
1. Don’t fake your own death. (Romeo & Juliet)
2. Friends are important, we all need a Sam. (Lord of the Rings)
3. Always remember your towel and Don’t Panic. (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
4. Find joy in the simple things. (Winnie the Pooh)
5. Friends can come from anywhere, even the gloomy side of the woods. (Winnie the Pooh)
6. Accept yourself and others. The underdog is actually the hero. Be true to yourself. (All the books.)
7. A person’s a person no matter how small. (Dr. Seuss)
8. Make sure you have a banana for the librarian. (Discworld)
9. It is our choices that show what we truly are. (Harry Potter)
10. If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors. (Harry Potter)
11. Girl power and determination gets it done. (Song of the Lioness)
12. Don’t judge based on appearances. (Beauty by R. McKinley)
13. Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean there’s not an invisible demon about to eat your face. (Dresden Files)
14. Fall seven times, get up eight. (The Alchemist)
15. Make friends, don’t make friends. (Frankenstein)
16. Books are the loyalest of friends. (Inkheart)
17. There’s good in this world and it’s worth fighting for. (Lord of the Rings)
18. Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line. (The Princess Bride)
19. The truth is rarely pure and never simple. (The Importance of Being Earnest)
20. We accept the love we think we deserve. (The Perks of Being A Wallflower)
What would you add to the list? Which are your favorites? Leave a comment and let me know!
And for your pinning pleasure, here’s an info graphic of 10 of the Real Life Lessons. Enjoy!
*Or maybe? That’s not one I’ve read.